On 23/05/2019 you offered your assistance to several administrators as our official Wiki Manager. I'd personally like to request your assistance with the following request: please stop pushing Wikia's marketing down our throats. Your features are not disruptive innovation, just disruptive.
- Hi Sixorish,
I'm sorry if you interpreted my exchange with Bennie was as some sort of pressure on this community, that was definitely not my intention at all! :(
- All decisions this community makes are entirely up to it's members, and Fandom staff have no desire to push any changes on you, through me. I simply noticed this wiki did not have much in the manner of fan-discussion areas (outside of the discord), and I was curious if you as a community might have been interested. I was not directly instructed by Fandom to do this, I was actually curious on a personal level, as a long-time wiki user. I was only trying to be helpful in offering information (in case the community hadn't considered this before).
- Sitb (Message wall / Talk page) 19:18, May 25, 2019 (UTC)
You say that Wikia didn't send you for this, except here's what we know: 1) You've come to our community, said hi and offered exactly 1 suggestion to change the way we work with minimal contact otherwise, 2) as the official Wikia liaise-person for this community you've handled user feedback by redirecting them to the official feedback form instead of handling it yourself, 3) your offers are not based on our needs but your wants, e.g. you say the discussions feature is designed to work on mobile - have you looked at this wiki on mobile? If you had, you would not be using that as a marketing point. If you had, then maybe your suggestions wouldn't be to increase user presence here with a chat feature but to improve the support for mobile. Please understand the users you're targeting with your drivel before you target them. -- Sixorish (talk) 01:47, May 26, 2019 (UTC)
- I have nothing ill to say about this wiki's mobile layout. It looks great! Your community has clearly been investing much effort around here over the years, and it shows. Anything I mentioned about mobile/portability to Bennie was specifically in regards to the discussions feature, which I now know this community does not want (but I would never have known, if I did not ask).
- This is not the only exchange I have had with other users of this wiki. At least one additional user has contacted me privately (via discord) about another technical question related to their experience on the wiki, and I was able to provide them with the information they needed. This is how my role works - I am not a full-time staff member, but a part-time contractor for Fandom. As this wiki's manager, when I can't help a user resolve an issue myself, I assist by directing them to the proper means of contacting Fandom staff for the related issue. For this particular case, I do not personally work on the feedback team, nor do I have influence over how ad content is displayed across Fandom. Any feedback therefore needs to be sent to the proper channels. This is why I provided Bennie with a link to Special/Contact, as it is where his concerns are most likely to be addressed by Fandom's full-time staff.
- For the record: What I want for this community, is to continue operating in the manner you decide is best, and I will support you all in any way I can. I am not a decision-maker for this community, just an extra conduit between you and Fandom, should you want to engage with me. I can help out in small ways to take some of the workload off of full-time staff, and occasionally answer your question quicker.
- Sitb (Message wall / Talk page) 10:51, May 26, 2019 (UTC)
Thanks for reaching out to us. I discussed with some fellow admins and we don't see much potential for the Discussions feature you told me about. We had the Special:Chat enabled for some time, but nobody used it, so there is a precedent. So thanks but no thanks.
- Hi Bennie,
Not a problem! You and the other admins know your community best.
- Re: Your concerns about ad content: There is an official method where you can formally give feedback (positive or negative) about existing features, suggestions for new features, etc. The full-time technical staff at Fandom are most likely to notice your feedback there, as your concern enters a queue and they are obligated respond to your inquiry as soon as possible. You can tell Fandom about your concerns with ads at Special:Contact/feedback.
- Sitb (Message wall / Talk page) 22:07, May 25, 2019 (UTC)