Tibia has seventeen towns, all of them being a hometown. A hometown is the town you respawn in after you have died. Your first hometown in Tibia is Rookgaard. When you are level 8 you can leave Rookgaard by being teleported to Island of Destiny by The Oracle. There you'll choose a vocation and a hometown on the mainland.
Your choice of hometown isn't permanent and can easily be changed whenever you want to. All you have to do is go to the town and find the Portal of Citizenship. If you enter it, the town you are in will become your new hometown.
In the past, it was necessary to know the hometown of any character you wanted to send a Letter or Parcel. This is not necessary anymore with the implementation of the global Inbox (with Updates/9.7).
Dawnport is the first town you will see. When you create a new character you will appear here, or after the Flash Client Tutorial if you use the Flash Client. It replaced Rookgaard as the beginner island.
Rookgaard was for a long time the first town you would come to with every new character. Now, you can arrive here by talking to an NPC at Dawnport. The term rooking refers to the act of killing a character until it reaches level 5, which resets the character including its level and residency (which was Rookgaard but is now Dawnport). Here is a map of Rookgaard.
Free Account Towns
The land of busy government where King Tibianus lives. They see themselves as the capital of all of Tibia. Here is a map of Thais. Thais and Carlin have been known to have a long-time rivalry on most game worlds.
A town built on a swamp. This town is based on economy and sells many items, making it an ideal choice of living in. Before a certain update this was the most dangerous town of all because of the monsters that live near it. Many monsters were lured near the path to Venore, for example Giant Spiders, Dragons and other evil creatures. Here is a map of Venore.
Premium Account Towns
A big and peaceful island east of Tibia. Famous for their extraordinary magicians who work and experiment with spells in Noodles Academy of Modern Magic. Many unknown and dangerous creatures hide in the deep dungeons on this island! Here is a map of Edron.
A beach uninhabited by humans. Although not a conventional city, there is a depot, bank, temple and trade NPCs. Although you can access this area at level 8, it does not appeal to low levels due to the Hive and Deepling threat. You cannot reach this city straight from Island of Destiny. Gray Beach is accessible by boat only.
An ancient town that was rebuilt after being destroyed by Suon's Wrath, located on an island that was once part of the same landmass as Krailos and ruled by the Anuma. You cannot reach this city straight from Island of Destiny.
A small Inquisition-led expedition right in the middle of a demon-infested island. Located east of Darashia. You cannot reach this city straight from Island of Destiny. Roshamuul is accessible by Thais boat only.
During various Updates new towns were introduced to Tibia. A brief history is given here.
- Thais was the first town in Tibia, originally known as "Tibia City", and it existed in the original client versions prior to Updates/6.0. It had several structural updates in it's early years, growing from just a few buildings to a large city, as well as minor graphical updates to buildings during Updates/8.5.
- Rookgaard has been present since an early version prior to 6.0. At first only the town and areas to the north and east existed. The north-west and south-west (premium) areas were later added. In Updates/8.2, the Tutorial Island was added and the Rookgaard town received a graphical update. During Updates/9.1, with the implementation of The Rookie Guard Quest, came new quest areas and creatures, as well as some places being revamped.
- Carlin has been present since an early version prior to 6.0 and has been expanded many times. It received a big graphical revamp in Updates/8.5.
- Kazordoon was born in Updates/6.1 and had a few revamps: The town was revamped in Updates/8.2, the Colossus Fortress during Updates/8.7 and in Updates/9.8 with the addition of 4 Ore Wagons and a Magic Carpet, making it a lot more accessible.
- Ab'Dendriel was introduced in Updates/6.2. It was revamped during Updates/7.9 and Updates/10.1.
- Edron was introduced during Updates/6.4 directly with Premium Accounts. It received a minor graphical rework with Updates/8.5.
- Darashia was added around Updates/7.0 and revamped during Updates/8.2.
- Venore was introduced during Updates/7.1 and revamped during Updates/9.8.
- Ankrahmun was introduced in Updates/7.3.
- Port Hope was introduced in Updates/7.5.
- Liberty Bay was introduced in Updates/7.8.
- Svargrond was introduced in Updates/8.0.
- Yalahar was introduced in Updates/8.4.
- Farmine was introduced in Updates/8.54.
- Gray Beach was introduced in Updates/9.4.
- Roshamuul was introduced in Updates/10.3.
- Rathleton was introduced in Updates/10.5.
- Issavi was introduced in Updates/12.20.