Poll 1: Immunities, Weaknesses and Strengths (Ended)
Recently someone suggested a change in the Template:Infobox Creature concerning Immunities, Weaknesses and Strengths. This poll provided you the chance to state your opinion on this topic. The poll started 12:00 CEST January 17, 2009 and ended exactly one week later 12:00 CEST January 24, 2009. You could only vote once. To understand a bit more about the topic an example of the current system is given, an example of the new proposed system and the benefits and drawbacks of both systems.
Example 1: The Current System
Example 2: The New Proposed System
Benefits and Drawbacks of the Current System
- People are used to it.
- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.".
- The colors are consistent (black) and do not take attention away from the text.
- You have to be less mathematical to understand -30% instead of 70% or +25% instead of 125%.
- The % values were entered manually and there was no standard, some creatures had different layouts, examples: Ice Damage (-30%), Ice Damage (+30%), Ice Damage (30%), Ice Damage 30%
Benefits and Drawbacks of the New Proposed System
- It technically works better with DPL (Dynamic Page List).
- It allows a standardized layout which can be changed with one click in the template.
- Elements are always in the same order and make it easier to find one element like ice, it is always at place #6.
- Editors/Contributors now can find all untested values and this will probably lead to more tested values in less time (For example look at Contributors:Untested_Fire_Damage_Modifiers).
- You can now see which elements the monster is neutral to (all which are 100%), which wasn't possible before.
- You can now sort by % weakness/strength to find the best monster to hunt, look at Ice Damage/Weak as example.
- In regards to categories (weak, neutral, strong) the colors are intuitive (weak = green = good, neutral = black = standard, strong = red = bad).
- If you expect the colors to be related to the element (fire, energy, ice, earth...) you'll be disappointed. (should be: fire = red, energy = blue, ice = light blue, earth = green...).
- The amount of information is sometimes more than needed. E.g. it is obvious the elements a monster is neutral to are the ones it is not strong against, weak against or immune to. (But sometimes it was also the case that people thought the creature was neutral against an element but in reality that element was never tested and therefore nobody wrote it on the page)
- Most people probably have to read some documentation/explanation to understand how the system works.
- Not all people can understand the new system since the colours are confusing.
The results are:
- Yes, I really like the new system. 34,1%
- Yes, I see the benefits although I think some adjustments are still needed (e.g. with colors). 7,3%
- I don't care about this matter. 4,2%
- No, the technical advantages don't outweigh the user-friendliness. 1,6%
- No, I really prefer the old system. 52,9%
The poll lasted one week and a total of 6503 people voted.
This data makes the last option, sticking to the old system the "winner".